Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Fear of Finishing

I unearthed several pieces of foam core board from my as yet still-packed-up stash of 'Other Projects.' They were going to be transformed into a wardrobe for Sarah's American Girl doll Samantha, but I never found the right size miniature hardware. They will have a new life as a custom-made fold-up blocking board, just as soon as I figure out how to hinge them together AND put a grid on them. That last part really has me stumped. I love my ironing board cover with the printed grid on it, and I'm so spoiled by not having to measure while I pin and block.
I have diagnosed myself as suffering from finishaphobia, or fear of finishing knitting projects. I bought a copy of Wiseman's Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques, now I just have to steel myself, calm my nerves, and get down to work. Seaming knits is a huge bugaboo of mine, and I just procrastinate about other things, like lining the pinwheel purse with fabric-covered stiffening and threading elastic through the loop fastener. That's boring - almost as boring as sewing the straps onto the felted bags. I figure if I just keep piling my UFOs in plain sight on the ironing board, sooner or later I will feel so ashamed of my finishaphobia that I will launch an all-day (or all-night) attack on this mounting pile of UFOs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home