Saturday, September 01, 2007

Flaming Wristies and Jayne Hats

My Sk8ter grandson Tyler requested these Sparky Flaming Hot Wristies, a design by Britta Stolfus Rueschoff. Britta has some lovely patterns on Knitty, but when I tried to locate the Sparky pattern, it had disappeared! I had to learn how to knit Fair Isle style, and I think I did pretty well for a first attempt at multi-stranded knitting. The link above is to a website that has lots of great knitting patterns. I'll be looking for more of Britta's great designs.Here is a view of the thumb holes, where I knitted a few more rows than the pattern called for. Tyler didn't care for the checkerboard design at the base of the flames, so I substituted rows of yellow, orange, and red. The yarn is Hauk from Dale of Norway, which is treated with Teflon so it will stand up to hard wear.
Jayne Hats! I found several free knitting patterns on the web for Jayne Hats.
Jayne Cobb Hat, My Jayne Hat Pattern, Bootstrap Productions, Jayne Cobb's Cunning Hat, Jayne Cobb Hat for Mugua, This Land, Yarn Demon, Cider Moon's version, and one from katydidknits. I got the basic idea, and went to town with the most outlandish color combinations I could make from my stash of acrylic worsted. Here is granddaughter Bri in her favorite red and black version.

Tabitha wanted to get in on the photo shoot, she picked this stripey Jayne hat. Cassie Ru liked the purple version. You have to see the Firefly series to grasp the significance of the Jayne hat. Sadly, the series was cancelled, but the outcry from the fans was so great that creator Joss Whedon made the film Serenity to tie up all the loose ends from the series. My daughter Arlyn and her family gave me the series and movie on DVD for my birthday - wooohooo!

3 Comments:

Blogger synnove said...

I love your hats. And the wristwarmers are very cool. Greetings from Norway.
http://www.synnove.org/blog

September 04, 2007 5:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found the pattern on Knitty. here it is so you can fix the link. http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATThottamale.html

October 02, 2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger moonsib said...

Thanks Cora, the flames on the skirt are pretty close to the Sparky pattern.

October 03, 2007 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home